Last year showed no signs of slowing down at Walmart and we’re looking forward to continuing our journey with thousands of Marketplace sellers and building a bigger, better online selling platform.
Walmart U.S. eCommerce sales grew 23% on a two-year stack throughout FYE 20231
120 million Walmart.com unique monthly visitors2
Sellers have seen 50% GMV growth, on average, for key items fulfilled by WFS3
85% of Walmart.com shoppers make at least one online purchase per month4
We’ve been busy listening to sellers’ feedback and following online consumer behavior – gathering information to further invest in our state-of-the-art ecosystem of solutions. That’s why we created the 2023 Walmart Marketplace Playbook for Sellers. This free step-by-step guide is here to help you recognize the boundless opportunities for growth this upcoming year with Walmart Marketplace!
Whether you’re a seasoned seller or just getting started, our playbook is here to help facilitate your journey with the most effective strategies and programs available for growing your business on Walmart.com. If you’d like to keep it easily accessible for future reference, you can download it below.
Continue reading to learn about our most recent enhancements and milestones, tried-and-true strategies to grow your business and how you can get started with Walmart in 2023.
1 Walmart earnings report, FY23 • 2 Comscore, October 2021 – NO ENDORSEMENT OF 3RD PARTY DATA SOURCES • 3 Walmart first-party data, February 2022 • 4 Attitude & Usage Study, 2022
2022 In Review
At Walmart, we’re committed to finding innovative ways of helping sellers grow and scale on our platform. That’s why last year, we rolled out new programs and optimized existing ones to strive for the gold-standard experience that helps sellers and customers alike.
Here are some of the new features and products we rolled out to help sellers optimize for efficiency and reduce costs:
From Walmart Fulfillment Services (WFS)
- Online Fee Calculator: Quickly estimate fulfillment and storage fees for any given product so you can save on fulfillment with no hidden fees.
- Less-than-truckload Rates: Help sellers save on inbound shipping rates through FedEx.
- Item Prep Services: Outsource inventory preparation of your Walmart-fulfilled items correctly and consistently.
From Walmart Marketplace
- Repricer: Automatically manage your listing prices to stay ahead of the competition — for free.
- Simplified 3-step application process: Start selling faster and get instant access to Walmart Ad Center and Walmart Fulfillment Services.
From Walmart Connect
- Search-relevancy Enhancements: Now more ads qualify to appear in relevant in-grid results on search and browse pages.
- Advanced Second-price Auction: Reduce your risk of overpaying for cost-per-click (CPC) bids.
- Variant Bidding: Promote any variation of your products including color, size and patterns.
Curious to see what other programs we launched? Learn more about our other programs on pages four and five of the Playbook!
A Breakdown of the Top-Performers of 2022
How do we know that our programs actually benefit sellers? Well, here are some fun facts about our Top 500 Sellers:
As you can see, we’re committed to finding new, innovative ways to improve the seller and customer experience and we hope you’ll join us to find out what we have in store for you in 2023.
Walmart first-party data: (2/1/22 – 1/14/23)
66% of Top 500 sellers are enrolled in WFS
58% of Top 500 sellers leveraged Repricer to stay ahead of the competition
76% of Top 500 sellers advertise with Walmart Connect
Thousands of new brands from top eCommerce categories like apparel, home and household essentials began selling on Walmart Marketplace last year, and some categories saw remarkable growth.
Top 5 Categories of 2022
4x Growth in GMV YoY
2.14x Growth in GMV YoY
2x Growth in GMV YoY
1.47x Growth in GMV YoY
1.4x Growth in GMV YoY
Walmart first-party data: (2/1/22 – 1/14/23)
Although these categories reigned supreme throughout the year, some other contenders climbed to the Top 5 category spots during our 2022 holiday season. Let’s take a look.
Top 5 Categories of Holiday 2022
6.75x Growth in GMV YoY
1.99x Growth in GMV YoY
1.48x Growth in GMV YoY
Vacuums & Floorcare
1.21x Growth in GMV YoY
1.19x Growth in GMV YoY
Walmart first-party data: (11/01/22-12/24/22)
Want to get more insight into our customers’ shopping habits throughout the seasonal events of the year? Pages 18 and 19 of the Playbook shed some light onto Walmart.com customers’ behaviors.
The Tools Readily Available at Your Fingertips
Stay top-of-mind with Sponsored Search from Walmart Connect
Walmart Connect provides advertising solutions to help sellers connect with our customers more often and more meaningfully than ever before. With Sponsored Search advertising, we can help get your brand and products in front of millions of customers actively searching and browsing Walmart’s site and app for products like yours. And the best part? You only pay when customers click your ad.
So, why should you advertise with Walmart Connect?
- Increase awareness & discoverability: When a Walmart customer enters a search term, Sponsored Search ads can help give your products a boost to higher positions within or above those search results.
- Help increase sales: Reach motivated customers searching for products like yours and advance them to your product’s item page.
*Walmart first-party data: (2/1/22 – 1/14/23)
Convert more customers with effective listings
We know that getting your product listings seen and then clicked on requires serious optimization and strategy. But what if there was an easier way?
We created free tools, like the Repricer, Listing Quality Dashboard, and the Pro Seller Badge, to help you put your best foot forward so you can build and win customer trust. These tools can help you optimize your pricing and listing so you can make sure that your products get seen and then clicked on.
We highly recommend structuring your strategy on Walmart.com around these tools to help drive conversion.
Defy the limits to scaling your business with Walmart Fulfillment Services
Walmart Fulfillment Services (WFS) is a low-cost end-to-end fulfillment service. As one of the world’s largest supply chains with no inventory minimums or maximums and no hidden fees, WFS gives you the freedom to choose how you scale your business.
So, why should you leverage WFS?
- Deliver your orders in two days across the contiguous U.S. (during non-peak seasons) and offer seamless customer service, replacements and returns
- Increase product visibility and conversion with ‘2-day shipping’ and ‘Fulfilled by Walmart’ tags
All with zero hidden fees so you can focus on growing your business.
*Walmart first-party data: (2/1/22 – 1/14/23)
See how you can best fine-tune your strategies with our ecosystem of solutions on pages 6-10 of the Playbook.
The Walmart Marketplace Difference
As the world’s leading retailer and one of the fastest growing eCommerce platforms in the U.S., Walmart Marketplace makes scaling any eCommerce business simple with:
- Zero monthly or set up fees
- Competitive commission structures
- Transparent and cost-effective end-to-end fulfillment solutions
- Easy-to-use advertising solutions
- A built-in audience of 120 million Walmart.com monthly visitors*
- A streamlined, 3-step setup onboarding process
A Special Offer for New, Domestic Sellers
For a limited time, when you launch your Walmart Marketplace account with a powerful suite of solutions, you can enjoy our 2023 New-Seller Savings* offer.
New, domestic sellers joining Walmart Marketplace today can save up to 25% on referral fees and unlock a $500 Sponsored Products ad credit through their limited-time New-Seller Savings offer.* Here’s how to take advantage of the offer:
- First, you’ll create your Walmart Marketplace account and start selling in three easy steps.
- Before going live, you’ll complete a New-Seller Survey for an initial 10% referral fee discount. Your response will also help determine the level of account management support best suited for your business.
- Then, enroll in Walmart’s end-to-end fulfillment experience, Walmart Fulfillment Services, for a 5% referral fee rate drop for items shipped by Walmart.
- Next, promote your products with Sponsored Search advertising from Walmart Connect and get a 5% referral fee discount on participating items.
- Finally, get a 5% referral fee discount on products priced competitively with the Walmart Marketplace Repricer tool.
Complete the New-Seller Survey and go live
Ship with Walmart Fulfillment Services
Advertise with Walmart Sponsored Search
Enroll in the Walmart Repricer
Plus, three weeks after onboarding, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to unlock a $500 Sponsored Products ad credit.
For more information about the promotion, deadlines, and requirements, check out the New-Seller Savings page. Terms and conditions apply.
Now that you know of all the ways to accelerate your business with Walmart Marketplace, do you feel ready to take on the challenge?