News & Announcements
Migrate Your Shipping Configurations to Shipping Templates by April 30
As of May 1, Walmart Shipping Templates will replace the previously used Global Shipping Settings, for both Seller Center and API users. Any previous configured shipping overrides or expedited shipping settings will be set to default and will need to be reset once migrated. Optimize your shipping settings and make the switch to Walmart’s customizable Shipping Templates today!
Prepare for Tax Season with Sales Tax Solutions from Avalara
As you gear up for tax season, now is the time to ensure you have the appropriate documents prepared to report any owed sales tax from last year’s earnings. In our most recent guest blog, tax experts at Avalara provide stress-free sales tax solutions to help guide you through the process. Avalara is a specialty solution provider that offers sales tax solutions for Marketplace sellers and can help you stay sales tax compliant.
Walmart and BigCommerce Launch Partnership
We’re excited to announce we’ve joined forces with BigCommerce to activate Walmart Marketplace as a new channel in the BigCommerce Channel Manager. By activating the Walmart Marketplace channel, sellers can now manage Walmart orders from the BigCommerce control panel and gain access to a curated network of complementary partners like CEDCommerce, Zentail and Feedonomics.
Get Closer to Qualifying for the Pro Seller Badge with Enhanced Returns
Make the returns process easier for you and your customers with our improved Enhanced Returns experience. Enhanced Returns lowers your processing costs, simplifies your operations, and drives conversion. Plus, get one step closer to qualifying for the Pro Seller Badge with your full participation. Learn how you can ensure a seamless return experience for your customers and stand out against your competition.
Keep the Sale and Enable Replacements for Your Marketplace Items
We are excited to announce that Marketplace sellers can now enable a replacement option as a return resolution instead of just refunding the order. You’ll be able to keep the sale by processing a replacement and offer more satisfaction for your customers.
If you’d like to offer replacements for your items, you’ll need to set replacement rules in your Partner Profile settings in Seller Center based on the retail department your items fall under. Replacement orders will be fulfilled in the same way as a new order but will be differentiated as a replacement order on the order details summary.
Upcoming Change to Dispute Filing Process
Did you know? You can now submit a return dispute in fewer steps right from the Payments Dashboard–meaning you no longer need to manually file in Seller Help. You’ll want to get in the habit of doing so because as of March 15, you’ll no longer have the ability to create a refund dispute through Partner Support. Get comfortable using the Payments Dashboard to ensure a smooth transition.
New Pre-Populated Item Maintenance Spec is Now Available
Walmart Marketplace and Walmart Fulfillment Services (WFS) sellers now have the ability to download a pre-populated item maintenance spec using GTIN match in Seller Center! The new item maintenance spec has pre-filled item attributes for up to 5,000 GTINs across 7 categories, saving you time and effort when making updates to your catalog. WFS sellers can also take advantage of pre-population to convert items in bulk to WFS.
Payments & Tax
As a reminder, in accordance with our Seller Promise, our default payment method is “direct deposit” to your bank account with no fees to you, ensuring that you receive 100% of the funds remitted to you.
Requirements for no fee payments:
- Enrollment with your payment processor must be initiated from your Seller Center account.
- Payment must be delivered to a US bank or a Canadian bank account that supports direct deposit (ACH).
If you are paying fees today and wish to change to “no fees payment delivery”, please contact your payment service Provider (Payoneer or Hyperwallet). You will need to have your business bank account details available when you contact them.
As a reminder, sellers can now electronically access their 1099-K reporting for sales shipped in 2020 via their payment processor (Hyperwallet or Payoneer).
Criteria for 1099-K sales reporting (all criteria must be met):
- W-9 tax classification
- For sellers residing in all states except MA, VA, VT and IL:
- More than 200 shipped sales
- $20,000 in gross shipped value
- For sellers residing in IL:
- $1000 in gross shipped value, irrespective of the number of orders
- For sellers residing in MA, VA and VT:
- $600 in gross shipped value, irrespective of the number of orders
- January 31 : 1099-K forms are accessible in electronic form via your payment processor
- March 31 : 1099-K forms will be filed with the IRS and Department of Revenue of the state corresponding to your legal address
- Refunds are not considered: if you shipped 201 orders in 2020 and 10 were refunded, you will receive a 1099-K form
- Cancelled orders are not considered in the gross value reported on your 1099-K
- Gross value includes: product price, shipping charges, sales taxes and fees remitted to you
- Sales taxes and product fees for orders shipped to marketplace states will not be on your 1099-K form
- A marketplace state is a state which has mandated Walmart Marketplace to remit sales taxes directly to them
- If you do not meet IRS issued filing criteria, you will not be issued a 1099-K form and should instead self-report
- Maintaining the accuracy of tax information used for reporting is your responsibility
- 1099-K forms will be issued by your Payment processor (Payoneer or Hyperwallet) as PDF documents
- If you meet the filing criteria and received payment via more than one payment processor, your 1099-K report will be split across both
- The order count and gross value reported on your 1099-K represented orders shipped in 2020, not the payments made to you during the 2020 calendar year and therefore cannot be reconciled
- Failure to maintain accurate tax information as part of your 1099-K filing may result in IRS penalties of up to $270 (IRS Pub. 1586) and/or backup withholding of 24%
How you will receive your 1099-K forms:
- You will receive an email from Payoneer with instructions on how to retrieve your 1099K for from http://tax1099.com/
- Login to your Pay Portal
- Click Resources > Tax Documents
- Locate your Form 1099 under “Available Year End Tax Forms”.
- Click Action > Download
Complying with IRS Mandates
IRS mandates require Walmart to ensure that your tax profile on file with us is accurate and a W-9 or W-8 form is on file with your payment processor.
Please note, that in order to comply with this mandate, we will be verifying seller tax IDs and legal names on file with us with the IRS and that we may contact you if your information cannot be verified.
How do I verify my tax profile is correct?
- Login to Seller Center
- Select “Tax Profile” under “Settings” on the top menu bar
- Verify that your:
- Legal name in the Name field
- Tax ID (TIN)
- Tax classification (W-9, W8-ECI, W-8BEN) are correct.
- If the information shown is correct, please open a Partner Support case for further assistance
- If you made changes to your tax profile, you will be notified after the information has been verified
We are also working with Payoneer and Hyperwallet to ensure that every seller receiving payments has a W-9 or W8ECI/W-8BEN-E form on file with them. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in payment delays.
What happens if I don’t correct my information?
If after 30 days, you have not updated your information or opened a Partner Support case, your payments may be suspended until we can verify your tax information with the IRS. Further actions may include, but are not limited to:
- Collecting backup withholding on gross payments at the rate of 24%, as directed by the IRS
- An IRS-imposed $270 penalty for incorrect information if updates are not made before your 1099-K form is filed for the calendar year (penalty assessed each year information remains incorrect)
- Additional solicitations from Walmart to obtain correct information
Please refer to the IRS for more detailed information.
Last year, we made improvements to the content categorization process we use to determine commission rates. All content is now categorized automatically to increase accuracy, reduces errors, and produce more consistent rates.
As a reminder, the category provided during content ingestion is only used to display the most appropriate set of attributes to describe your content; it is not used to set referral fee rates.
How does our automated categorization work?
Our categorization scheme prioritizes “what an item is” over “how the item is used”, unless the item is specialized enough that it can only be used a designated category, precluding its use in other settings, the general category will be used.
- Example 1: Leather care products can be used on leather car seats, leather jackets, leather accessories and leather furnishings. Therefore, leather care products are associated with Home & Garden @15%.
- Example 2: An automotive wrench will be categorized under Automotive & Powersports @12% rather than Tools & Home Improvement @15%, because its use is restricted to automobiles.
Please keep these guidelines in mind before contacting Partner Support.
Policies & Guidelines
Refresh Your Knowledge on Our Marketplace Policies
We’ve improved our Seller Policy section in Seller Help to make it easier for sellers to understand and follow Marketplace policies. Plus, we launched the Seller Code of Conduct for Marketplace sellers, which will be your biggest resource to help guide you in making positive decisions. Brush up on your knowledge of these policies to fully understand our commitment to a fair and honest culture on Walmart Marketplace.
Review the Walmart Seller Pricing Policy
As a reminder, the Walmart Marketplace pricing policy is in place to ensure that customers have access to fair, competitive prices for products offered by sellers on Walmart Marketplace.
For all products, including products such as hand sanitizers, cleaning agents, face masks, etc., we require sellers to continue to adhere to Marketplace policies regarding price and advertising claims to ensure customer trust in Walmart Marketplace. Products that are priced in violation of the pricing policy will be removed. Please refer to the Pricing Policy and our Prohibited Products Policy for more information.
If prices change and the item now falls within the acceptable range, the item will automatically republish, typically within 48 hours. If more than 48 hours has passed and you believe your item remains incorrectly unpublished, please create a case with Partner Support.
Prohibited Products Policy Reminder
We want to remind you of our Prohibited Products Policy, which lists the types of products that are prohibited and/or restricted from the Walmart Marketplace. The policy is subject to change so please periodically review the page.
Walmart will remove any product listings that per our discretion may be in violation of Law, the Prohibited Products Policy, or any other Walmart policy. Please consult with your legal counsel if you have questions about the laws and regulations concerning your products. Note that corrective action may be taken on your account as needed due to violations of our policies, this may include suspension and/or termination of your account.
If you have questions about our Prohibited Products Policy or would like additional guidance please create a case for Partner Support and reference code TNS.
Custom Content Policy Reminder
Products customized with custom content such as custom designs, graphics, artwork, images, phrases and/or text are popular and can be found in many categories, including but not limited to apparel, home decor, and accessories. Common examples include mugs, posters and t-shirts. Walmart restricts products with custom content and requires approval before sellers can list these items within their catalog.
Walmart’s Prohibited Product Policy applies to products with custom content. We prohibit products that may portray negative stereotypes associated with a specific ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, occupation, physical appearance, depression, disorder, disability and/or mental state. We also prohibit products that in our view glorify or promote tragic historical or recent news events, or any items with sexually explicit images, text, themes or obscene language (in all languages, not just English), or other objectionable content.
If you have questions about our product policy or would like additional guidance please create a case for Partner Support and select Items/Inventory > My item is unpublished > I am receiving a TNS error code and include the impacted item IDs in your ticket.
Security & Privacy
Walmart protects your security and privacy. We will never ask for personal information (such as passwords or credit card numbers) in an email. If you receive such a request, please do not respond to the email.